POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : change all textures : Re: change all textures Server Time
26 Jun 2024 16:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: change all textures
From: ABX
Date: 10 Jan 2005 05:40:26
Message: <cbm4u0dpjk4f5v2ubf9qv6s29v544c0hpn@4ax.com>
On 10 Jan 2005 02:51:40 -0500, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> > > I need to do it in a program
> > The question is, which program? Since your (suggested) change would
>
> I ment: to write a patch for MegaPov 1.1 (since this is renderer I use
> currently for this task in with I need to strip textures).

I meant reader vs. writer.

> > not remove all memory allocations, the parsing/scene building could be
> > not optimal. And you could get not perfectly optimized build of the
> > renderer.
>
> strip_textures should walk entire tree of given object, and free memory
> used by textures/materials of each part of this object.

Which clearly means defragmentation of memory in larger scenes. I cannot
predict how it could influence final performance but it would definietly
happen.

http://abx.art.pl/pov/patches/patches.php?Key=New+keywords

> Writting script to do it automaticly hmm I dont know...

If PoseRay is closed source then definietly. Since it is exported I imagine
there nothing advanced like #macros so dummy parsing and rearranging with
smart scripting language would be much more efficient than wasting time for
(de)allocation memory during parsing/rendering.

ABX